Sunday, July 3, 2011

MY YEARS AS A CHILD 2

As I said before, I had four sisters and one brother.

My oldest sister, MJB, was born in 1933. I remember very little of her when we were all home. She worked at Franklin's Ice Cream store. When us kids went to the city pool to go swimming, we had to go right past the store. On the way home we would stop in and she would give us an ice cream cone. I remember one time we stopped in and we sat up at the counter and she ask us" What'll you have" and our baby sister LMG said loud and clear "Paps Blue Ribbon." Pabst was a popular beer at the time.

MJB had a boy friend and he would always bring her candy when he picked her up for a date. They would take me with them when they went out on a date. I really liked him. And I remember her wedding day she got married in our living room. Everyone was happy and full of food and drinks.

My next sister EMW was born in 1936 and I remember very little of her, too. I know she had 2 boy friends at one time. She did marry one of them. And her and her friend, a neighbor, would dress up in different clothes and take each others picture. When we were younger, there is 8 years between us, and when it would rain in the summer her and I would go outside and run throw the puddles. She went off to Indiana to get married. that is about all I remember of her.

Now for my brother WEM who was born in 1938. I would clean his room for him for 10 cents a week. It was mostly his socks he left on the floor. But I adored my big brother because he would play games with us girls. He would have us all lined up in a row beside the neighbor's barn and throw a tennis ball at us and we had to try to keep from getting hurt. He would always play ball with us. But we better do as he said or we were in big trouble.

We had a ditch in our back yard and daddy had built a bridge over it. It was where our toilet was. I would always look around for my brother before crossing the bridge because if he caught me on the bridge he would pretend he was going to push me in. I would hang onto the edge of the bridge with my toes.

I have always been afraid of the water. I remember one time my oldest sister slipped on the bridge and fell into the ditch. She smoked and no one knew it until then because her cigarette  floated on the top of the water. When the ditch would dry out we would play billy goat gruff under the bridge. When my brother was young and still played with cars, I would take his cars outside in the dirt and play with them. He never got mad at me and some times we would play on our kitchen table. It was that old white porcelain and WEM would draw streets on the table and we played cars on it. Other then that I didn't remember seeing my brother much as he was always out running around with his friend. But never got into any trouble that I know of.

To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment