Tuesday, June 14, 2011

MIRACLE BABY - Part 2

When I came to, my WH was right by my side. I started to cry and he asked me why I was crying?

Here I am in a hospital bed with both my arms up on pillows. The doctor had accidentally cut an artery and wanted me to keep it up on a pillow until it was better. My right arm had blood going in it along with an IV. I had oxygen on. I also had 2 tubes coming out my side, and I had a catheter in. That alone would make a person cry.

But I was not crying about all that. I was crying because I lost our baby. He said no honey we still have the baby. Then why did you tell me they took it out, I asked. So he explained to me about the surgery. I was in the operating room a long time. They removed my spleen, a rib, and the mass from my chest. By the way, that mass had grown as large as the doctor’s fist. I was in a 4-bed ward and was to stay there for a long time. I was in the hospital off and on until March going home on holidays and on a weekend once in awhile. That all depended on how I was doing at the time.

I was moved from the 4-bed ward to a 12-bed ward. Remember my WH was in the Air Force. When I was able to get up and walk. I was still hurting so bad that I sat on the edge of the bed and put a pillow on my eating tray and slept like that.

There are a few things that really stand out in my mind:

1. When the doctor told me that I could never get pregnant again because it would bring the Hodgkins back.

2. Back then you were allowed to smoke in the rooms. Being a non-smoker, I can smell a cigarette a mile away. There was a woman in the ward that smoked menthol cigarettes. Today I can tell if some one is smoking menthol and it bring back memories.

3. Palmolive soap that is what we had to use while in the hospital and to this day I will not have any form of Palmolive soap in my home.

4. When my pastor from our church White Settlement Baptist Church in Texas came to see me, he went back and told the congregation that he had been up to the hospital that he hoped to cheer my up, but instead I cheered him up.

5. Last one, my mother came up to see me and wanted to see what they had done to her baby.

So when I opened my robe there was a scar at the top of my chest bone about 5" long across where they had repaired the artery they cut into. And the other scar came from that scar down to my belly button. She cried and I cried with her and told her God would take care of me.

I was on morphine and it made me hallucinate. I asked them to take me off it and they said it was the only thing they could give me because of the baby. So I said I didn't want anything then and that I would pray about it. Although I hurt I managed it.

WH told me my sister was at the house. So I got permission to go home for the weekend. From now on my sister Linda will be known as LMMBG. I was so happy to see her. The sad thing is my mother told me she had to go home and she would be flying back with LMMBG.

OK, now what do I do? I had 2 little girls. The oldest was Tina and will be known by TMGC who was 4. And Kathie will be known as KAGH who was 3. I was sick to know she would leave me now. But I also understood she had to leave and go home to daddy.

We went to church on Sunday and WH and I let pastor know what was going to happen. The women from the church and a neighbor started calling me to let me know not to worry, that they would take care of WH and the girls. They did, but I think they spoiled them some. So another prayer was answered and on Sunday night it was back to the hospital. Every night when WH came up to see me he told me who took care of them and things that they said and brought me pictures they colored and who would have them tomorrow.

It took the doctor two days for about one hour each to remove my stitches. There were 150 of them. He said it was the most he had ever put in one person. Then they let me go home for more than a weekend.

I had to go into the hospital to see my cancer doctor and my OB doctor. Whenever I went to the doctor my WH was always with me. I remember seeing people there at the office complaining about having a cold and I said at that time I will never complain about a cold again. I was so weak that I would lie down on the seats and put my head on WH’s shoulder or lap.

Though this whole time WH would not talk about what I went through and to this day he would most likely say he doesn't remember. We just don't discuss it. Why? Because so many other things came from that.

To be continued.

1 comment:

  1. I can just about hear WH's voice as he told you the baby was okay. I had no idea you were in the hospital that long. So many things to learn!

    ReplyDelete