Monday, June 13, 2011

MIRACLE BABY

As promised I will begin my blog with the miracle baby. I was only 25 at the time and away from home with my wonderful husband, who was in the Air Force at the time. I got pregnant in July of 1968 and we were so happy. The baby would be due in April, a nice cool month. Both my girls were born in August and I had to go through the hot summer being pregnant. Back then they didn't have the ultrasound to tell if it was a boy or a girl, so we were praying for a boy.

Since my wonderful husband was in the AF they do a chest x-ray at three months when you go in for your first appointment. I was called to come back to the doctor so they could tell me about the x-ray. They told me I had a mass in my chest and it was as big as a fifty cent piece. But they did not know what it was and I had to be admitted into the base hospital for 2 weeks while they were running every test on me and still could not find out what it was.

I was released from the hospital and went home to my girls. Then a lump come up on my neck and after I played with it (it rolled around like a marble under the skin) I went back to the hospital for my next OB appointment. I told the doctor about it and they said they would have to remove it. After talking to my mother who was in Ohio, us in Texas, she said she would come down and take care of the girls. Another answered prayer. This was November and I had the lump removed and the doctor called me into his office and at first he told me they thought it was leukemia.. Good, I thought at least it was not cancer. But then he told me it was Hodgkin, which was fine too. I didn't know what Hodgkin was, but the word "cancer" was not said and me only being 25 I didn't know that leukemia and Hodgkin were both cancer.

My wonderful husband worked in the hospital so the doctor went to him and told him what I had and that it was cancer and because I was pregnant I would have to stay in the hospital to have the mass removed.. Or I could have an induced abortion. Wonderful husband (from now on will be WH) and I talked to the pastor and to the doctors. I would not have an abortion.  I felt this baby I was carrying had save my life because without the chest x-ray I never would have known I had stage 3 Hodgkin.

When we told the doctor what was decided he said he would treat me as if I were his wife and be very careful and if God meant for me to keep this baby I would, if not I would loose it on the operating table. This I could handle because I believed in God. I believe He answers prayers and I expect him to answer my prayers.

In the mean time we celebrated Thanksgiving. My mother took care of everything. But I was so disappointed she had a roast for Thanksgiving dinner. Yes a roast who ever heard of have roast for Thanksgiving dinner.

On Dec. 3, 1968 I went in for a 11 hours surgery. WH and my mom was there when I came out of surgery. My mother would not came in to see me and WH took her home. But  my WH was by my bedside all the time.

Well that has got me started and I will continue the Miracle Baby tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. So much happened to you in such a short length of time! I had no idea that the surgery took so long. What all did they do?

    By the way, I know your husband -- and he is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, lovely story and you tell it well, just the right amount of suspense. I'll be back for more.

    By the way, I "know" your sister-in-law, and she's pretty wonderful herself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey this is great keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete